If you have several hundred dollars that are eating a hole in your pocket — slowly — and you want to make a reservation to eat at the French Laundry in Yountville a couple of months down the road, here’s what you have to do.
- Be a party of four. Other sizes have to rely on phone reservation. The odds of getting a table for two within a couple of months by calling the restaurant are probably less than the odds of John Edwards becoming president.
- Exactly two months before you want to eat, a little before midnight, fire up the OpenTable French Laundry reservation page
- Enter your information and the time 7:15. Every midnight two reservations, one at 5:30 and one at 9:00, open up on OpenTable two months down the road. The 7:15 time puts you in the running for both.
- Get your credit card ready to go.
- Have some way of knowing exactly what time it is — for example, open up the official U.S. time clock in another browser window.
- Finally (quoting from travelpost.com insider, the source of these instructions) “When the clock hits 11:59:56, click the red search button on OpenTable. If you get a page that offers a time, you’ve gotten in. Last night, my husband and I were using separate computers, but followed this method. He got the 5:30pm time, and I got the 9pm.”
The FL consistently scores at the top of Bay Area restaurants.
I hope it’s worth it.